Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Ch. 2- low context v. high context

Hey everyone! This is my second blog for this project and I will be discussing a type of culture we learned in chapter two. More specifically, I would like to discuss the uncertainty avoidance aspect of culture. I will also be sharing how I would communicate when talking with the other type of culture. Hope you like it and can maybe share some input!

The type of culture I would like to discuss is uncertainty avoidance. Highly uncertainty avoidant people like familiar situations and are very unlikely to take risks in their life. On the contrary, people who are part of uncertainty accepting cultures love the fast paced lifestyle and are open to new situations and possibilities. For me I feel that I am a highly uncertainty avoidant person. I am very resistant to change and become very stressed when I am put in an uncomfortable position that I don't know what the outcome will be. For example, at the beginning of my senior year I was excited to think that I might go away to college with all of my friends down at ISU or Purdue. After thinking about it I was petrified of the thought of moving to a new area where I didn't know my surroundings or what could possibly happen in the future. By going to college close to my house I felt very comfortable knowing pretty much everything was going to stay the same and I wasn't going to put myself into an unpredictable situation. All of my friends still ended up moving away and they couldn't understand why I chose to stay home.

I think there are a couple of ways I could improve my communication with the other type of culture. First I think I would try and understand where they are coming from and see why their opinion differs from my own. Then I would explain my position to them so they could try to understand my uncertainty and fears. By using these methods I feel that maybe my friends will be able to see why I decided to stay home instead of going away to college.

No comments:

Post a Comment